Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Wee Bit of Christmas Fun

Since everyone has been off on Christmas blogging fun, I thought I would share this poem a friend sent me.  She received it in an email as I did and does not know the author.  I can not find the author on the internet.  Maybe one of you knows who wrote this.  It is cute and really sums up the true Genealogist inner thinking of his family search....Hope you enjoy.....
    
               A Christmas Incident
 'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the charts
The lines that were empty would sure break your heart.
The pedigree chart was laid out with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas would know who or where.
As searcher I nestled all snug in my bed
While visions of ancestors danced through my head.

Others sound asleep both upstairs and down
All in a nightcap and ankle length gown.
when out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I jumped from my bed to see what was the matter.
When much to my wonderment there did appear
Good old St Nicholas with a grin to each ear.

His bulk was tremendous, his eyes full of glee
He laughed as he picked up the sad pedigree.
He shouted and roared and ripped it to bits
While I swallowed my heart and went into fits.
"Dash it all, dash it all," I heard him then say,
"This clutter and mess is just in my way."

He said not a word as he started his job
He sat down at once and his pencil did jog.
A new pedigree he filled out in two winks
Giving names, dates, and places and all missing links.
Clear back to Adam, and down to the last...
For ageless was he, having served in the past.

I thought, "Oh, how wonderful it would all be
If he did for others what he did for me!!:
As he finished and blotted the ink not quite dry
A sadness came over me and then I did cry!
He gave me the details and seemed to have such fun
But now all my ancestor chasing was done!!!

He bounced out the window and I heard him say,
"For others I'll do the same any old day,
Just tell them my number and be good and kind,"
But then, a sure thought came into my mind...
Nobody wants ancestors that fast and so good
I'll let everyone else do the job just as they should.

4 comments:

  1. Ha this is great. Good old St. Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable and it is a conundrum - do we want all the answers or is the hunt most of the fun (I know the answer - the hunt sounds very cool)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Hope your Christmas was Merry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! And how nice it would be to find those missing links that are so frustrating at times. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and Thank you very much for your wonderful comment!
    Wishing you the very best in the New Year!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete