Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sentimental Sunday The Hero and the Bully

There was one thing the Hero did not take kindly to and that was when someone would bully others.  He frequently would tell a story of taking the part of the underdog.  I think that was why he loved Popeye.  He was never afraid to tell a story even if he did not win the fight.

When he was in Junior High School, they would occasionally walk  home and stop by the ice cream store.  There was apparently one young man that delighted in picking on the younger boys.  After watching this going on for a while, the Hero decided that he had to do something to stop it.  

The story in his words:  "I was hopping mad that this guy would come up and take the ice cream from the younger boys and continually pick on them.  I decided that I was going to do something about it. 
One day I heard him coming up a picking on the younger boys.  I had just bought my ice cream cone.  I walked up to him and said 'pick on someone your own size.  He got in my face and said "yeah, what are you going to do about it shrimp?"  I looked at him and before he could do anything, I smashed my ice cream cone on his face.  Right smack dab in the middle of his fore head.  The look on his face was so funny, I started laughing.  I had to run, because I knew he would kill me and I couldn't stop laughing."

I so wish I had a picture of that.  Wouldn't the look on the bully's face when he realized someone had just hit him in the head with a drippy ice cream cone have been priceless!. 

The Hero never told if it stopped the bullying, but he said the other boys took heart in the action of someone standing up for them.  A pattern he would continue to do through the years. 

2 comments:

  1. How satisfying! That's the best way to handle bullies - make them look ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete