Friday, August 31, 2012

A Town Without a Library is like a Body Without a Brain.


I love Libraries. They are my number one resource when looking for what is available in a small town.  I always stop and visit when driving in an unknown area to me to see what they have.  I had the following experience when visiting the Fremont County Library in Landers, Wyoming.  I arrived with only 30 minutes to research in their genealogy department. They had a wonderful Wyoming collection.  Because of a small staff, they were unable to be with me, the books are locked in cases to protect the collection.  They would have to come pull a book, leave me in the room.  I would then have to go get them, and do the process over again.  It has to be an awful challenge to them, leaving what they are doing and helping in another area.  They were nice, and tried as best they could to be helpful.  It was evident time was not on my side, I told them what I was trying to accomplish regarding my great grandfather.  They immediately said you need to visit the new museum.  They called on the phone and found that it would be open another hour, so they gave me the directions. Their help ended up with my finding out where the burial records were sent for my great grandfather.
A Town without a Library is like a body without a brain.  
Now you know why I back the Support Your Local Library... Read on.



FIND A LIBRARY NEAR YOU

Libraries in WashingtonLibraries in OregonLibraries in CaliforniaLibraries in IdahoLibraries in NevadaLibraries in MontanaLibraries in WyomingLibraries in UtahLibraries in ArizonaLibraries in ColoradoLibraries in New MexicoLibraries in North DakotaLibraries in South DakotaLibraries in NebraskaLibraries in KansasLibraries in OklahomaLibraries in TexasLibraries in AlaskaLibraries in HawaiiLibraries in LouisianaLibraries in ArkansasLibraries in MissouriLibraries in IowaLibraries in MinnesotaLibraries in WisconsinLibraries in IllinoisLibraries in MichiganLibraries in IndianaLibraries in OhioLibraries in KentuckyLibraries in TennesseeLibraries in MississippiLibraries in AlabamaLibraries in GeorgiaLibraries in FloridaLibraries in South CarolinaLibraries in North CarolinaLibraries in West VirginiaLibraries in VirginiaLibraries in PennsylvaniaLibraries in New YorkLibraries in MaineLibraries in New HampshireLibraries in VermontLibraries in VermontLibraries in MassachusettsLibraries in Rhode IslandLibraries in ConnecticutLibraries in ConnecticutLibraries in New JerseyLibraries in DelawareLibraries in MarylandLibraries in New Jersey
FIND YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY
INFORMATION INTEGRATED
WITH GOOGLE MAPS

DATA SOURCE:  IMLS


Thank you to StateStats.org
for providing this infographic and other free web guides and tools.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post on Libraries! I was a page at a library for five years. that's what our position is called here in California. Thank you for supporting your local library..

    ReplyDelete