Monday, April 26, 2010

Irish Praises of God


I have always loved reading Irish verses, limericks, and songs.  They have a lyrical and meaningful way of expressing the joy of the spirit and life.  As I have said in previous posts, my mom and dad always said they "had lots of Irish in them", so I was partial to the Irish.  Well not so MUCH Irish in me, but I married a man who had a LOT in him.  If his great grandfather had not changed his name from Aylward, we would have sounded a wee bit Irish. If the Hero were alive, I would have had him write a poem for me.  He had a way with words.  Have been searching for what happened to his writing. But, again, I digress.

When I first read this verse, it struck me because I love lying in the morning listening to the birds outside my window, then  I step outside to view the beautiful world.  This is how I start the day.
The author of this poem was not known .  It reminds me of those who write, not to publish, but for the benefit of others.  Later someone uses their work, because it is powerful.  On the other hand, many monks wrote just to praise God and did not want recognition.  Which ever it is, the words are meaningful to me. 




8th century (translated by Brendan Kennelly) 
God's Praises
Only a fool would fail
To praise God in His might
When the tiny mindless birds
Praise Him in their flight.
Christ's Bounty
I pray you, Christ, to change my heart,
    To make it whole;
Once you took on flesh like mine,
    Now take my soul.
Ignominy and pain you knew,
    The lash, the scourge,
You, the perfect molten metal
    Of my darkened forge.
You make the bright sun bless my head,
    Put ice beneath my feet,
Send salmon swarming in the tides,
    Give crops of wheat.
When Eve's wild children come to you
    With prayerful words,
You crowd the rivers with fine fish,
    The sky with birds.
You make the small flowers thrive
    In the wholesome air,
Your spread sweetness through the world.
    What miracle can compare?
 The picture is mine out in the yard.
Tthe clip art is from Graphic Fairy and Dover Design,
s

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty blue, is it a true blue to your color? I noticed when we got back our purple was blue on my daughters tv. Of course Blue is great no mater waht tint or hue. Looks like a great plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is called Dotted Blue-Eyed Grass. A native wildflower of Texas. They grows in small clumps and are so pretty. Thanks Rootdigger.

    ReplyDelete