Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday Memorial Day


This Memorial Day weekend, I took my mother-in-law to put flags on my father-in-laws grave.  I had the toddlers with me.  I have memories of going as a child with my mom and grandmothers and visiting and leaving flowers at the graves of my grandfathers.  There would be cousins, aunts, uncles, and a whole group of people there.  They would have a picnic and we got to know our family.

We are all so spread out, that we do not do it anymore as an almost reunion, but I did it on a mini scale with the toddlers and their aunt, their great grandmother, and cousins. 

The pictures here are not meant to be disrespectful.  The toddlers went exploring and they found some of the tombstones useful for resting.  They cleaned flowers and shared with other tombstones if they didn't have flowers.  We did have to watch them.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great tradition you have started. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of introducing the little ones to cemeteries before they begin to fear them. Our twins have for several years had phobias about cemeteries. It was quite the chore to introduce them to the idea that those headstones were the key to some very interesting history. Photos were not disrespectful at all.

    ReplyDelete