Thursday, December 30, 2010

2011 Genealogy Goals

 Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.
Fitzhugh Dodson

I promised myself that I would make goals this year.  I have worked toward goals, but this last year the only one I really had was to make the Sentimental Sunday Post.  I think I only missed one Sunday.
 Below are my 2011 goals, I made a collage that pretty much encompasses the areas I do well with, my Hero posts, putting together a family tree, land records, and searches from both ancestors down the tree to from down the tree to ancestors.  I need to stretch and grow.  I am not a professional so there is much to glean to be a better researcher.

This year in the area of  
Personal Growth Goals:
Financially I can not afford to purchase classes.
1.  Take and finish three free online classes through FamilySearch.org.
      a. U S Research
      b. Research Principles and Tools
      c.  England Beginning Research
2.  Continue and stress improvement with each PROGEN discussion session.
      a. Practice good sourcing methods as learned in PROGEN and
Elizabeth Mills book  Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian
3.   Research and Decide to if I want be Professional with Certification
4.   Attend one Genealogical Conference
5.   Join at least one Genealogical Society

Family Tree Goals
1.   Take two trees across the pond.
2.   Find and prove William Henry Langley's father.
3.   Collaborate better with other researchers.
4.  Submit two names to DAR and one name for First Texans.

Individual Worth Goals (Doing Something for Others)
1.  Index minimum of 400 names a month
2.  Arbitrate minimum of 400 names a month
3.  Help minimum of one person a month grow their family tree.
4.  Begin compiling Hero stories chronologically for family to publish.

The vision is to actually work on these goals, not just wish for them to happen.  I do have challenges ahead.  A new grandchild will be born, must stop and go to California to help in this area.   A granddaughter will be performing as Kate in Taming of the Shrew will HAVE to go to Idaho to see this. The first month will be spent with my sister-in-law until she gets back on her feet. 
Now, they could be distractions or hmmm.... I could incorporate them in my grand scheme of family stories. 

9 comments:

  1. Wishing you all blessings in the new year, and hoping you are able to reach your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. You have given a lot of thought and time.
    Good luck and hope it all gets accompolished with Great fun along the way. Gotta have time for family too. Glad for that. Have a good and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lists, well thought out. I can see working on some of these while fulfilling the family MUST DOS!

    Enjoy 2011, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow and Ice coming in new year. Staying safe.
    I came back to ask you and your partner about Technorati.... I am filling out forms, but do I want to? Have you seen other Genea Bloggers and or you use it. I see no real need, but was wondering about rank and such that I want to see? It has been changed. Perhaps I should have emailed you. I am thinking of pursuing/ reading more blogs this next year about writing skills, etc. for my own reasons [lol] All about improvement you know. I will look for answer here. [then do more catchup with follow feature to start new year right.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rootdigger, Looking at Technorati it appears they have an application for writing for their site. I searched and do not see a category for genealogy or family history. The category for family looks like it is a medical grouping? Not sure from reading if it that is the source of blogs or not. I will pass it by Thomas and see what he thinks. Let you know.
    You go girl, stretch and grow is my motto.. ask my children. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good list!You've inspired me to revise mine to include the giving back activities I say I'll do - tomorrow. I need to move those up to today. ;)

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very ambitious! I wish I had your energy honestly :) And a very nice looking blog!

    Jan at Cow Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
  8. You blow my mind! What a great list and best of luck to you with your wonderful goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great goals. And I love that you've included your 'Individual Worth Goals'. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete