Thursday, January 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday Sources

 This post was inspired by my pantry.  If you happen to be a member of an organic coop like I am, you probably have had an abundance of cabbage.  Knowing that cabbage has been used for years in European countries, I decided to look for heirloom cabbage seed in Google search.  I found the Late Flat Dutch Cabbage at American Meadows.com 

This leads me to declare that Google.com is my genealogy treasure chest. It is a wonderful source for finding all sorts of information relating to your ancestors.      Google by definition, enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find similar pages.   http://www.google.com/  .  Having explained my treasure chest to you, I will now show you one treasure I found.

My next decision, now that I knew about my heritage cabbage, was to find a recipe for cabbage that was related to the Prussian area.  I found a new website called OldEats.com
They had a recipe from German-Russian origin called Runza or Bierocks. These immigrants brought it to Nebraska where it is quite popular. Our Heimbach's came to Nebraska from Waldholzbach, Losheim, Prussia (Germany) , so it was a match. 

Runza is basically a meat, cabbage dish baked in a yeast bread pocket.  I am not really talented with baking from scratch yeast breads and time is a consideration since I am helping my daughter, therefore I looked for an Americanized version, and found one on Cooks.com
This is the recipe I used with pictures following which, though amateur (taking pictures with one hand and stirring with the other), are a token of the wonderful tasting dish that our German ancestors created with plain cabbage.
Runza Casserole

1 pound hamburger
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped finely
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 package Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (package of 8 rolls)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your liking
Directions
In a large skillet, brown hamburger with onion. Drain grease.

 
 
Leave burner on low and add shredded cabbage, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until cabbage is
wilted and soft (about 7 minutes or so).


Grease a 8 x 11 inch casserole dish. Put half of the meat/cabbage mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish and sprinkle on half of the cheese. 
Take four of the crescent rolls, open them up and arrange them so they cover the layer in the casserole dish.


 
Add the rest of the meat/cabbage mixture, layer the other four opened crescent rolls and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minute



Ready for a bite.



The grandsons who's other grandparents are of Hispanic origin,  are used to eating Spanish dishes. Their mother loves Thai food.  As you can tell they have an interesting variety of foods in their diet.  However, they have never had German foods and are interested in learning more about their heritage, therefore they were game to try my new recipe.  It was a hit.  Not a bite left.  They have been having fun learning more about their heritage.  I am grateful to Google for their easy search terms and wonderful returns.    
Thank you for stopping by and reading. 
Try this recipe you will love it.
The Hummer
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie...
    This recipe sounds wondermous. I will definitely have to try this one. Looks eye appealing and sounds so tummy appealing. You have a wonderful amount of energy here. I love to come and see what you have been up to.

    Have a beautiful Friday sweetie. Thanks for sharing a part of it with me.

    Country hugs and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm-O. I think google is a treasure, too. Google books has become one of my favorite places to do searches....among the old books. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a "kkeeper," recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you each for your comments and Gigi, You have a sense of humor. It is good ingredients.
    The Hummer.

    ReplyDelete