Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ancestor Approved Award


I’m flattered and humbled to recieve the Ancestor Approved Award from Jo at Images Past.  I thank you, Jo!  Leslie Ann of Ancestors Live Here started the Award to show appreciation for the genealogy bloggers whose posts we enjoy.  The instructions are to specify ten things that I’ve learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled, or enlightened me, and then I should pass the award along to ten other Genealogy Bloggers that I feel are also deserving of it!
Let's get started.

Ten things that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me about my ancestors:

1. The Fredricksburg Land Records held a surprise for me. Barbara Kemp was living but the land was divided amongst the children without mention of her. If this had been the first record I had seen on this family, I could have thought she was dead.

2. This last year I was humbled to find I was able to remember so many Hero stories. 

3.  There isn't a category for delighted, but I was delighted to find that one of my Revolutionary War ancestors was dubbed "The Rambo of The American Revolution"

4.  I was surprised when I reviewed my dates and censuses to find my grandparents had a "Land Lottery" Romance.

5.  I was surprised to find my grgrand father Langley was a member of the secret organization "Anti Horse Thief Association". It was enlightening to discover more about the culture of the time.

6.  It was humbling to me to discover that the Hero's grgrandmother lost the majority of her family in 4 years all flu and TB related.  She was a strong person to lose her son, husband and brothers and father within 3 years.

7.  It is also humbling to me that you can think you have covered all there is to know about a person and still discover more.

8.  This last year in an of itself has been a time of enlightenment for me as I have attended ProGen discussions and read ProGenealogy. I have discovered my sourcing has been okay, but that is not good enough.

9.  I was surprised to find a new researcher on the Hero's grgrandparents.  Excited too.

10.  I have been humbled by the appearance of death certificates and birth certificates that have revealed cause of deaths and mother's maiden names.   I have to insert here that I am humbled by the many life hours that have been given to make these documents available on FamilySearch.org this year.


Now to pass it on to ten other bloggers.
Jen at Climbing My Family Tree
Debbie at DebsDelvings
Taneya at Taneya’s Genealogy Blog
Lulu  at Bits 'n Pieces
Genealogy Pisces at Blogging from the Branches 
Brandt at Brandt's Rants
Cynthia at ChicagoGenealogy 
Jenna  at Desperately Seeking Surnames
Every Man A Quotation
Foot Steps Past

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being recognized by the Ancestor Approved Award! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. I'm not sure it is warranted here but it is a great opportunity to pass it on to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting the award and thank you for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this award with me!

    ReplyDelete