Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Mason's Apron














Mary Thorn with Levi Gildon Family

I made a post earlier about having found controversy over the apron at the right.
The elderly lady on the left of the picture is Mary "Bride" Thorn Self. That too is controversial, because researchers can not agree as to her middle name. The only concrete information is that her initial was the letter 'B'. Whatever the outcome on her name, it is blatantly known that she was a caring woman who loved her family. She traveled from Alabama, to Texas, to Oklahoma with her family. She kept safe the Mason's apron that belonged to either her father Thomas Thorn or Great grandfather Thomas Thorn, who came from England (the other controversy). The original owner had hand drawn the figures that you see on it. It is my understanding that Mason's do hand draw the figures as they progress in their growth in the organization. This is another example of personal work being preserved. If you right click on the picture, it will open the picture in another for you to be able to see the figures.
However, long term preservation of an artifact was not well understood by my family. Mary passed the apron to the daughter on the left in the picture, Emma Self Gildon. Emma then passed it to my grandmother's family. My grandmother is the young girl in the center in the back row. Her name was Lenorah Gildon Langley. She passed it to my cousin who had it mounted on a piece of cardboard (I can hear some of you cringing) and placed under glass. When she gave it to me, the silk (it was not on lambs skin as I had heard) was beginning to yellow and deteriorate, because the cardboard was attacking the silk. We had it removed and archived by a professional in an acid free library box. It now resides in a dark dry place, which bothers me. I keep thinking it needs to be available for viewing by the rest of the family. Does anyone know, if the Masons were to have the apron, would it available to the public for viewing?

9 comments:

  1. I can't help you with your question but can really appreciate the historical value of your apron not to mention the personal value it has for your family. You are right to think it needs a proper home. Have you included a provenance with the apron? A story of the piece and how it fits into your family. They should be kept together with any photos that relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can try to contact the Grand Lodge of your area. A lot of Grand Lodges have museums where they display old masonic artifacts (at least the Grand Lodge of Quebec does). They might also be able to date the apron for you and give you even more on the history of apron. They might even be able to help you trace the Masonic history of the person who owned the apron. The Masonic history won't give you any personal information, but it's always nice to know. I did this for my father and my uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question. My son's friend has just joined the Mason's and I will ask him the next time he is in town. If I can find his e-mail, I will send him your blog. I have a circa 1870's Masonic booklet of my great grandfather Stark and when I showed it, Matthew was amazed. He said that those types of written materials are difficult to find. What a family treasure you have. Getting it preserved as you did was appropriate. I know if I had such a family heirloom and it was framed, it would be up on my wall for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone. I will explore your suggestions. I know there is a huge Shriners Temple in Houston, maybe they can help.
    Lori, I had not thought of that. There was a small piece of paper on the original frame, but it had gone the way of rotted paper.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful how you have used the apron and the family portrait to tell some about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited about the Masonic apron you have. The Lambskin or leather apron was the badge of a Mason and was presented by his lodge. It was intended to be worn by the Mason and upon his death to be placed with the body in the grave. Many times this was not done as family members were not told in advance of it’s meaning. I am a 32nd degree Master Mason & Shriner. My great grandfather was Hezekiah Thorn, from York County, S. C. He was born in 1763 in Piscataway, MD. His father was Thomas Thorn, born in 1735 in Somerset, Stepney Parish, Maryland. The Self listings in my tree begin with William Sidney Self who married Sarah Berdillia Thorn. I am not sure we are connected, but it is possible. Back to the apron. On the front there is a “bib” that extends downward in a “ V” shape. Look under the bib for any markings. Some were marked with the Lodge name and Lodge Number.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fantastic family heirloom. If you were to donate the artifact to the Freemasons I am sure it would be put on display in one of their museums. If you can narrow down who it may have belonged to and where they may have lived, i.e. US-state or UK you can write to the Grand Lodge of the State or the United Grand Lodge of England and see if they can locate the Masons history. It won't be detailed as one poster suggested, but it will give you some dates and places and any awards received. Also aprons like the one you have were hand painted on silk or white leather (lambskin) and were worn in lodges until around the end of the 19th century. Aprons of this style could be as old as the mid to late 18th century. You can see modern examples of these types of aprons at http://www.craftsmansapron.com/index.php. Or if your ever in Washington D.C. head on over the the G. Washington Masonic Memorial where you can view many period aprons and regalia. Anyway good luck with the apron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. C Thorn and Buffalo Bill, I thank you for your posts and your suggestions. I did not know about the bib, I will look for sure. No one has been in the Mason's since my great great grandfather, so it is a new experience researching it. Are the Shriner s the same as the Masons?l
    Thank you again
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shriners and Masons are not the same, but all Shriners are also Masons.

    ReplyDelete