Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oh Canada

The SACKLEY BROTHERS BORN IN Napean, Carlton, Ontario.
I know that Wednesday is supposed to be assigned to something, but I didn't realize that July 1st was Canada's Independence Day. Show's you what I remember from HS World History class.
I learned from, of all places, the Old Farmer's Almanac site that July 1st is set apart as Canada's birth. It happened on July 1, 1867 when the British North America Act established out of the colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, dividing it into four provinces, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick. I wonder if our ancestors earned their medals in the rebellions?
I have been unable to place these medals. I think the pictuce was taken in the late 1880's

I also said...no wonder I have such a hard time finding them, the provinces weren't even provinces when they were there. A whole new mind set for me.

Canada’s birth in 1867 was the result of years of hard work by the Fathers of Confederation.

On July 1, 1867, the British North America Act established “one Dominion under the name of Canada” out of the colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, dividing it into four provinces named Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick.

I love our Canadian Families, and I am glad they had the same joy of earning their independence that my Colonial Families did in the United States.

5 comments:

  1. We both have a post called Oh Canada. I, however am Canadian. Woo hoo Canada. Happy Birthday.
    That is a very interesting photo and for those in the know would give a lot of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again. I enlarged the picture and noticed that the young man not only has his medal on a the opposite side as the other two men but he is also covering his up. How very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lori, how observant. I have been so busy with clothing and the medals...to verify the time, that I missed that.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Canada! We live very close to the border so the plan is to go across this afternoon to attend the Canada Day celebration in Perth-Andover, New Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too forgot that July 1 was Canada's Birthday..like you I must have been sleeping though that history class ;-) I don't have any Canadian ancestors, however my Grandfather Hughes did fight with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WWI. He was still a British subject at the time, living in Woodlawn, PA. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA

    ReplyDelete