Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday, The Cemetery Vacation

To begin my following of Tombstone Tuesday, I thought I would start with my son's first adventure into the world of cemetery exploring.
We were taking our first ever just a vacation, not a just 'visiting relatives' vacation. My son was 10 at the time. One of our areas to visit was Independence, Missouri. A town rich with history. I was loaded with pamphlets, he was not impressed. Looking at the map, I saw that the township of Fishing River was not too far away, and convinced my husband and son to go look for my great great grandfather tombstone. I wasn't sure of the cemetery he was buried in, so I found the name of three in the area of the township to look in. It took the better part of the day to find the tombstone, but we did and I was so excited. I had searched the records for years to find information about this great grandfather and now I had been were he had lived and came to his final resting place. All seem great...that is until I got back to the hotel and my son said very solemnly, "Mom, I hope I never go on a cemetery vacation again." We laughed about that for years.

1 comment: